The Youth Initiative strives to strengthen education and support systems for 1,000 neighborhood youth and their families while enhancing the University by providing service, learning and research experience for students, faculty, and staff. Launched in 2011, the Youth Initiative is the largest community engagement project in the institution’s history and a signature element of the University. Some examples of the work of this initiative are:
- Offering high quality early learning opportunities to dozens of neighborhood children
- Extending the Bailey Gatzert school day by two hours for 120 youth annually.
- Providing family engagement and parent leadership programming to several hundred families.
- Offering an academic mentoring program for 130 youth at Washington Middle School.
- Coordinating and supporting summer enrichment programs for over 300 neighborhood youth.
- Contributing to significant progress on academic indicators (SBAC tests, attendance, preparation for kindergarten, family connection to school, school climate)
The SU Youth Initiative Scholarship is our commitment to ensure that high school students from SUYI neighborhoods have a pathway to Seattle U. The awards “cap off” the award recipient’s financial aid packet and ensure these students can attend Seattle U with minimal financial burden.