The Center for Community Engagement (CCE) connects classroom, campus and community to promote a more just and humane world. The CCE houses the Seattle University Youth Initiative. Launched in 2011, this signature initiative unites campus and nearby neighborhoods to support kids and families.
In the Youth Initiative:
- 2,000+ Seattle U students support partner schools and nonprofit organizations
- Last academic year, 191 instructors taught 429 course sections with a service-learning component.
- 37 Jumpstart Corps members assist classroom teachers in seven early learning sites reaching 115+ preschoolers.
- 300+ Seattle U students are academic mentors at our network of partner Seattle Public Schools: Bailey Gatzert Elementary, Washington Middle and Garfield High School.
- 125 local families participate in programming that builds community and connects them to their children’s schools.
Your Gift Supports
$10 purchases a home language dictionary for families to support their children's academic success
$30 supports a two hour one-on-one youth mentoring session facilitated by a Seattle U student
$50 creates a customized literacy kit for a local preschooler, kindergartner or first grader
$100 provides interpreter services at a family event
$500 supports a Community Engaged Faculty Fellowship
$500 sponsors a portion of our annual Serve Local Showcase to highlight student leadership in community engagement